Rate This Recipe
There's something very reassuring about a mellow soup of winter vegetables when it's cold outside. This soup is easy to prepare ahead of time and elegant enough for holiday entertaining.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium white potato, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 pound winter squash, preferably butternut or pumpkin, peeled and diced OR 1 - 15 oz. can cooked pumpkin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 cups half and half
- Chef Jamie Original Seasoning Blend OR salt and pepper, to taste
- Croutons, for garnish
- Fried Sage Leaves, for garnish
- Melt butter in a large, heavy pot. Over medium heat, add the garlic, onion and all of the vegetables and sauté gently, without browning, for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. When vegetables begin to soften, add spices and sauté few more minutes. Add chicken broth and bay leaves, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes or until all vegetables are completely soft. Discard bay leaves.
- Puree in a food processor or blender in 2 cup portions. Reheat gently, add the half and half and season to taste. Garnish with croutons and fried sage.