ITALIAN SAUSAGE CHOWDER
Rate This Recipe
So you bought the family-size package of Italian Sausages....Now what do you do with the leftovers?! Make this creamy, rich and hearty soup and serve it with garlic bread, for dipping.
- 4 sweet or hot Italian sausage links, squeezed from the casings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 baking potatoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook the sausage in a large stock pot, breaking apart the ground meat to crumble the sausage into small pieces. Drain off any grease, leaving 1 tablespoon in the pot and discard the remaining grease.
- Add the onion and cook until tender. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and potatoes bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender. Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Stir in the cream (do not bring the chowder back to the boil), adjust the seasoning and serve.