GRILLED CAPRESE SALAD SKEWERS
Rate This Recipe
You can find a caprese salad in just about any traditional italian restaurant based on the combination of mozzarella, tomatoes and basil which originated on the island of Capri. But, have you ever added the smoky, scrumptious flavor of the Grill to your Caprese?
- 1 large loaf day-old country bread, cut into 24 one and half-inch cubes
- 1 pound bocconcini (24 small fresh mozzarella balls)
- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 24 cherry or grape tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn or cut into chiffonade
- Pre-heat your grill to medium-low heat or turn your broiler on low with the rack 8 inches below heating element.
- Skewer the bread, bocconcini and the tomatoes, alternating. You should have two of each ingredient on the skewer. Lay the skewers on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil.
- Grill: Cook over indirect, medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes, turning often to toast both sides of the bread and warm the cheese. Broil: Broil on low for 3-6 minutes, turning often to toast both sides of the bread and warm the cheese.
- When done, place the skewers on a plate, season with sea salt, pepper and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle the basil leaves all over.