BEAUTIFUL BAKED BREAKFASTS
Waking up to the smell of a cheesy, bready, egg casserole, baked French toast, all puffed and golden on a holiday morning (or any morning, for that matter) is perfection. Make-ahead perfection. Our best Breakfast and Brunch ideas, ranging in taste from "cheesy-goodness" to "gooey-goodness", are mostly prep-ahead dishes that will definitely brighten the season.
So, to warm you up to the idea, here is a list of our best recipe ideas to feed a crowd breakfast or brunch, straight from the oven:
- Make my Easy Baked Brioche French Toast! Assemble the bread and custard mixture the night before, then just pop it in the oven, watch it rise and serve topped with a snowfall of powdered sugar. http://www.chefjamie.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=295&Itemid=102
- Lana’s Breakfast Pies are a sweet mixture of the best available fruit with a flaky crust. It takes minutes to assemble and the smells that waft from the oven will draw everyone to the kitchen. Use a cast iron skillet for a rustic look. http://www.chefjamie.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=305&Itemid=102
- Sauté crumbled Chorizo and breakfast potatoes the night before, then store the sauté pan in the fridge. The next morning, bring the meat and potatoes back up to temp, top with 8 whole eggs, carefully cracked into small indentations in the sautéed mixture and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes
- Make a big Frittata with seasonal veg and goat cheese, or prosciutto and caramelized onions, or zucchini and ricotta, then chill overnight. Reheat in the oven until warmed through, then serve at room temperature, cut into wedges (with a spicy crème fraiche to dollop on top!).
- Make Breakfast Breads in advance (like a Banana Walnut or Orange Pecan). Then serve the bread on holiday mornings with sweetened mascarpone and jam.